Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yes, we Can and HAVE been surviving....

Today I wanted to touch on some things that I've been givin' some lip about here lately. About how I raise my son. And how I decide what is best for him! For centuries women have breastfeeding, EC'ing (potty learning) their infants, wearing (carrying their babies kangaroo style or on their backs) and nourishing their babies long before there was ever any gerber rice cereal, any carseats, any disposable diapers, etc...

The things I've chosen to do and will choose to do for my child is MY choice. Most things I decide to try because I want to be able to communicate with my babe. I want him to be able to communicate with me. I mean long after the proven statistics and pro's of breastfeeding people still insist I should feed him out of a bottle or give him formula because he will be 'spoiled' and no one will be able to watch him. People insist that I give my son rice cereal. WHY? WHY I ask? And yet none of them that has offered that specific suggestion can tell me one single benefit of why I should start feeding my baby gerber at only 3 months of age when he is being completely nourished by breastmilk. Babies survived and thrived long before gerber was ever even thought off.

And sometimes, in just the blink of an eye, things can can be over. Can be different. Different from how you've ever envisioned anything in your life before. Suddenly, life happens and nature takes over. This brings me to a very special photo that I also want to share with you guys. I know what it means to me. It says everything I've been trying to say. It sums up how I feel about letting nature do its work and just takin' it back old school, to old some old school methods when it comes to raising your child. It shows us through even the worst of situations that we can survive on what was naturally given to us.

Now let's be clear. I absolutely believe that its a personal choice to either breastfeed or formula feed your child. I'm all for formula feeding if that is what you feel is best and I can respect that. Now I just wish people would respect the fact that YES, I am still nursing and YES, my child is only on breast milk and that NO, my child cannot have any water now and that NO, I will not be giving my child any gerber until he has communicated with me in some form that he IS ready. We are a simple being. We are meant to survive and to be able to survive with only what has been given to us. So I ask, why is it such a big deal that if this is the philosophy I want to choose when rearing my little one's? If civilizations flourished under nature's meek concept, then it still can.

So this is my thought of the day. What does this picture say to you?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pic and post!!! and i think its great you are choosing to nurse. i totally respect others choice to NOT do so,but i agree that others should offer the same respect in regards to YOUR choice! i nursed my son for 8 months (wanted to nurse for at least 12 months but he weaned himself) and didnt even start gerber cereals until 5 months,when it was suggested that he needed to learn to eat from a spoon? as a first time mom,i listened. my 2nd child,i stopped nursing at 4 months and then started cerals at 6 months.....
    so you do what you feel is best for your son,dont worry what others think of your choices...i am in full support of what you are doing for your baby!!
    keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete